Sunday, March 16, 2008

Wings of Fire


Let us discuss the topic of chicken wings. I love ‘em. For yours truly my preferences for wings are extra crispy with (depending where you are) “medium” to “hot” sauce. Wings are even Atkins low-carb friendly.

Yeah baby – bring it on.

“But Evil Chicken, what about your cholesterol?”

163.

“But what about your cholesterol?”

You just asked that.

“163?”

Yep. Ain’t life grand? Before you ask about family history or mention the important role genetics play in one’s cholesterol count let me just say, “yes”, my father had high cholesterol. I believe I owe the cholesterol count to my low-carb, high protein diet. But enough about the gravy coursing through my veins let’s get back on topic.

Here are my picks for the best places I know of to get wings.

1. Big John’s Pizza Queen. How I like ‘em: extra crispy, hot with cayenne pepper on top. Awesome. Pizza Queen has great pizza too. The pizza sauce recipe has been passed down from the MIGHTY Big John’s Pizza in Bridgeton NJ, where the owner Mr. Robbie Johnson learned his skills. Big John’s should be listed on the historical sites for South Jersey and Pizza Queen continues that heritage. If you’re not eating low-carb it’s manna from Heaven; you won’t be disappointed with the Wings either.

2. Wild Wings in Vineland, NJ. They are smaller wings but they are very tasty. How I like ‘em: extra crispy with medium heat on the sauce; and what a sauce it is. Medium is enough to break you out in a sweat. You’ll like ‘em.

3. The Pic-A-Lilli (http://www.picalilli.com/) in Shamong, NJ. You have to go a long way to beat the Pic’s Wings. How do I like ‘em? Hot and extra crispy. Please note that Wings at the Pic differ from other places in the universe in that the humerus (drumstick) and the radius and ulna (the forearm of the wing) are still connected so if you order 25 wings it’s really like getting 50. Order the Dog Bowl you won’t be disappointed. Speaking of places that should be listed as historical sites, the Pic is a must experience – a must do. If you’ve been geocaching in Wharton all day and have just pulled off of Quaker Bridge Road at Atsion Lake, the Pic is where you want to be heading. You will not be disappointed.

4. Oliver Twist in Millville, NJ. They have Old Bay Wings that rock. Very tasty and a nice twist on a favorite. As an added feature hanging from the ceiling is a 6-man canoe named “The Sixpack”. It’s a thing of beauty to behold since it’s man made and is in excellent shape. I can remember racing against it and its team about 22 years ago. It’s nice to see that the boat still exists. Break out the Old Bay at Oliver Twist

5. Cowtown Rodeo (http://www.njsouth.com/index-cowtown.htm) in Pilesgrove, NJ. There’s a lady there who runs a stand where she sells Roasted Wings and man oh man, are they tasty. Check them out on Tuesday’s or Saturday’s (the days of operation) between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Very tasty.

And there you have it, my top 5. If you can recommend others please do so, I’m always in the mood for Wings!

2 comments:

mommanator said...

my brother says there is another pic-a-lili somewhere down the shore that the wings are ok- I am not enamered by wings-
my brother also said if ya like the wings at the pic- you should try the buffalo shrimp and scallops! yummy- I might try those, just don't like wings for some reason?

Anonymous said...

The best place to get wings......My house. Nothing better than home made. I get them just the way I like then, just crisp enough, just hot enough. Makes me want to make some now.
Shoe