Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Arthur C. Clarke Has Passed


http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080319/ap_en_ce/obit_clarke_17.

One of the greats has moved on. “The Sentinel” is a short story just about 8 pages long. A young filmmaker by the name of Stanley Kubrick gets a hold of it and makes “2001 – A Space Odyssey” and revolutionizes the way people see the world and the future.

He was prolific as a writer but my personal favorites have to come back to the stories that include the Hal 9000, David Bowman, Heywood Floyd and David Poole – anything with a monolith. These works include; “2001 – A Space Odyssey”, “2010 – Odyssey Two”, “2061: Odyssey Three” and “3001 – The Final Odyssey”. All were great reads and all hold a special place on my bookshelf.

Clarke once said, "Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering."

One of the greats has phased into that universe and I can only wish him well.

No comments: