Monday, February 11, 2008

Oscar VS. Chicken 2008


Ok. Let me be direct and up front with you gentle reader, it’s not fair for me to take on Oscar this year due to the fact that I’ve only seen about 4 of the films that are nominated this year. In other words, I’ve got one hand tied behind my back.

Misinformation has never stopped me before so bring it on Oscar. Let’s see what you’re made of. The majority of my picks are trying to infuse my mind with just how the academy thinks. It’s not easy but this remote viewing has worked for me in the past so here are my picks for who’s going to be walking away with the statue of the little, golden, bald guy.

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis for “There Will Be Blood”. Clooney might surprise me.

Best Supporting Actor: Hal Holdbrook for “Into the Wild”. Nostalgia – the academy voters want to feel like they have an appreciation for the past.

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett for “Elizabeth – the Golden Age”. The academy voters want to establish a two-fer; in this instance Blanchett will have won for the same role in two different films. There’s that and she’s brilliant.

Best Supporting Actress: Rudy Dee for “American Gangster”. Blanchett might surprise me, we’ll see.

Best Animated Feature: “Ratatouille”. Pixar deserves any accolades they might receive AND, I might add, Brad Bird (writer/director) is a genius.

Art Direction: “Sweeny Todd”. I want to see Burton and Co. beat out “The Golden Compass”. Burton’s got it coming.

Cinematography: “The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford”, although “There Will Be Blood” might take it.

Costume Design: “Elizabeth – The Golden Age”

Best Director: “Joel & Ethan Coen - No Country For Old Men”. These guys are amazing filmmakers and they are due.

Best Documentary Feature: “Sicko”; mainly because the academy voters are petrified that they will be the focus of Moore’s next movie.

Best Editing: “The Bourne Ultimatum”

Best Foreign Language Film” “Mongol”. I hear that this one is really something to see; Genghis Kahn the early days. It’s on my list.

Best Makeup: “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End”. Get a good look at Davey Jones – amazing.

Best Music Original Score: “Ratatouille”.

Best Picture: “No Country for Old Men” BUT this is going to be close – it could easily go to “There Will Be Blood”. We shall see.

Best Visual Effects: “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”. With all due respect to the work that was done on, “Transformers”, Pirates Rocked.

Best Adapted Screenplay: “No Country for Old Men”. This too will be close and could easily be “There Will Be Blood”.

Best Original Screenplay: “Juno”. The academy voters will vote for this film in this category. I hear that it’s a very good film but I haven’t had a chance to see it. “Ratatouille” I have seen and it is amazing. I’d like it to win but the academy will be too busy patting itself on the back for other things to take notice of an animated movie beating out a live action film.

So. There you have it. Evil Chicken’s picks Oscar ’08. Oscar’s got the upper hand going into this fray but I think I’ve got his number. We’ll see who wins and who loses on February 24th.

Bring it on Baldy

No comments: