Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Want To Believe


Cue the theme music.

Scully and Mulder are coming back to theaters this summer – July 25, 2008, to be exact; X-Files 2 – on the big screen. I am one X-Phile that can’t wait. Here’s Ain’t It Cool News’s coverage from WonderCon: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35726.

Man… It’s good to be a geek. Harry and company do a great job of getting news that’s well, pretty cool. The vernacular on the site can be distracting when you read some articles and talk-backers so be fair warned – if you can look beyond that Harry’s site is the gold standard of geekdom.

And now, back to topic.

Friday nights during the nineties started with watching the X-Files on TV. What a great little show that was. If you get a chance check it out in reruns or rent the series. If you want a reminder of just how cool the show was check out: http://xfiles.wearehere.net/xfiles.htm#Start - it’s a great X-Files site and where I grabbed the “I Want To Believe” poster that used to hang in Mulder’s office before being burnt out in season 6 (?). After 202 episodes, 9 seasons of broadcast television the X-Files threw in the towel in 2002. The series, for me, didn’t end on the high note that it really deserved. X-Files was cutting edge when it was in it’s prime. The show lost it’s footing after David Duchovny (Fox Mulder) left. Oh the stories were good but the draw was the relationship between Scully (played by the amazing Gillian Anderson) and Mulder. The show suffered from Favoratus Disappearis and it was palpable.

I always felt that there were more tales to tell within the world of supernatural conspiracy, creepy monsters of the week and alien abductions. I know that I’m not alone in this belief. "X-Files 2" could be just what Chris Carter (creator, writer, director) needs to carve out an X-Files movie franchise.

I’m hoping that he does, after all – I want to Believe.

No comments: