Wednesday, August 20, 2008

LeRoi Moore


It has been said whenever a musician dies that “Heaven must have a swingin’ band.” Well, the band just got a great saxophone player. LeRoi Moore, the saxophone player from the Dave Matthews Band passed away due to complications from an ATV accident. Here is the full story from the bands web site: http://www.dmband.com/ and here is what Yahoo has to say: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080820/ap_on_en_mu/obit_leroi_moore. He was 46.

For my birthday one year I received tickets to see DMB at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Mother Hen and schlepped over the Walt Whitman Bridge and saw the show. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones opened the show and let me just say that “electric banjo” is a lot cooler than it sounds. It was a great evening although we did feel that we (MH and I) were on the other side of the bell curve because of our age. No that’s not the right word – maturity maybe? ...No... I was right the first time.

Oh well. Such is the way of things.

Any way, there is a lot to like when you consider the Dave Matthews Band. They are a solid group of Jazz-fusion musicians who have made some beautiful and groundbreaking music together. The albums, sorry – I mean CDs, are solid. I’ve always been partial to “Under the table and Dreaming” and “Crash” but there is a lot great music to discover in their library. One of the most wonderful things about the Dave Matthews Band is how they play live; DMB is a jam band and dependent on each of its musicians to bring something to the table. Mr. Moore always delivered. He always brought something to the party. He will be missed.

My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Moore’s friends, family at this time and the rest of DMB at this time. He was one of the founding members I hope that they continue to make beautiful music together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have a lot of Bela Fleck live music. Good stuff. DMB is fine, but I kind of lost interest after a while.

Evil Chicken said...

I was really impressed with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones when we saw them live. Good stuff.