Saturday, July 26, 2008

I Still Want To Believe


Before I get started let me just say that X-Files: I Want to Believe, is best appreciated if you are already a fan. You see, X-Files is like that old pair of running shoes you have in your closet. Sure they may be old and worn but they are comfortable and you are happy that you rediscovered them. Still you wouldn’t want to give your shoes to someone who has never worn them before; that’s just asking for trouble – and blisters too, I might add. If you are a fan you’ll enjoy what you see. If you have no idea who these people are or what they are trying to accomplish you might get a lost. It’s been about 6 years since X-Files graced TV screens and in that time a lot of people are simply not going to know who Fox and Dana are.

Fortunately for yours truly, I’m a fan; but not just me this time – Mother Hen is too! It was with a certain degree of hopefulness that we schlepped over to the multiplex last night to check out, “X-Files: I Want To Believe”. Back in the show’s heyday Mother Hen and I would make time to watch it together, in between my working shift work and her work schedule. It was a ritual. We would make tea and watch the X-Files. It was beautiful. The show switched from Friday to Sunday but we still held on and then David Duchovny, the man who so adeptly plays Fox Mulder, left the show. Now I must confess, I love Ms. Gillian Anderson (Agent Scully – a wonderful Irish name I might add) but the show suffered from Favoritus-Disappearus when that happened a lot of the chemistry went with it. After a nice run from 1993 – 2002 the show called it quits.

BUT… there was so much left to tell. No really. What about the government conspiracies? What about the aliens of all shapes and sizes? What was the deal with that oily substance that invaded the host? Just what was the final fate of Alex Krycek? Was that child really Scully and Mulder’s? What about the alien invasion of 2012? Would the fluke man ever return? Inquiring minds want to know! The original X-Files had so much to offer. It was Chris Carter (the creator, writer and sometime director) at the top of his game. X-Files: I Want to Believe feels like its joints need to be greased and some rust sanded off. I want to believe that there will be a part III because I have no doubt that Carter would bring his A game. Rumor has it part III would be one of the “Mythology Episodes” and would focus on the alien invasion scheduled to happen on December 22, 2012. Mulder and Scully staving off the end of the world? Now there’s something I’d go to the theaters for.

“So should I go see it, Evil Chicken?”

Yes. If you’re a fan it will be like slipping on those running shoes in your closet. If you are not a fan expect some blisters.

See you at the multiplex.

1 comment:

Pax Romano said...

if you go to my blog you'll see my two cents on the film.

I loved it. A refreshing change of pace from the CGI-bang bang-car chase-dreck we are fed all summer.

Gillian Anderson better get an Oscar!