Monday, March 12, 2007

More Than a Feeling

Gentle reader; please allow me to take you back to the summer of 1977. I spent the majority of this summer camping at “The Old Stagecoach Campground”. Yes – I will admit to enjoying to this experience. We slept in a tent and an ancient pop up camper (circa world war I). We had electricity and water on site. Not too shabby. My dad even set up a refrigerator under our rain fly, yep – very fancy. I remember riding my banana seated Schwinn through clouds of DDT, which was dispersed via a “fog machine”, pulled by a tractor around the campground. The theory was that the fog would kill the mosquitoes. I can neither confirm nor deny that any of the blasted blood suckers were killed or not but I can say that DDT tastes pretty bad.

I absolutely loved my existence there at the campground; swimming, crabbing, playing pinball & pool, buying & reading comic books and listening to the jukebox in the game room. Good times. Rod Stewart’s “If You Think I’m Sexy” {as if I had any idea what the song was about at the time}, K.C. & the Sunshine Band’s, “ That’s the Way (I Like It), Stevie Wonder’s “Sir Duke”, George Harrison’s, “Blow Away”, Boz Scaggs, “Ledo Shuffle” and Boston’s “More Than a Feeling” were songs, that for one reason or another, spoke to me. I hope that makes sense – it’s true… they spoke to me. Those tunes are imprinted onto my organic MP3 player. It’s history – both the bands who recorded them and mine.

I especially love the band, Boston. There’s just this righteous, justified, power chord quality to their music. Tom Scholz is primarily responsible for the sound but it never would have happened if not for Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band. This being said, Mr. Brad Delp, passed away on March 9, ’07. He was only 55 years old. He was a part of my development – my growth. Bottom line. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Thank you for the music.

1 comment:

Joe Tornatore said...

Boston produced mroe than a feeling in me too.