Saturday, January 17, 2009

Battlestar Galactica – The Beginning of the End


On 1/16/09, at 10:00 PM EST, the first of the last 10 episodes of Battlestar Galactica was broadcast. This reimagined rag tag fleet’s journey is coming to an end. The new BSG was the series that I did not want to like (see this: http://evilchickenscratch.blogspot.com/2005/01/how-i-learned-to-enjoy-broccoli-and.html). You see I grew up in the seventies and had the old Glen A. Larson production cemented in my mind as to the way things should be. Back in 2005, Ronald Moore took a sledgehammer to the mold and in doing so helped make one of the finest shows on television. The story is sound, the writing is top shelf, and the characters are viscerally real and skillfully brought to life so that the viewer actually cares about what happens to them and the last remnants of humanity.

BSG is not for everyone; it is certainly not for children but if you have the imagination to look past the spaceships and battles then you’ll be able to enjoy an intense human drama of life, death, and the hope of survival in the face of a genocidal of war. If you can appreciate a good story then BSG is for you. Here’s a 13 minute video to bring you up to speed on the last 4.5 seasons: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/video/index.php?sub=specials&clip=3. And now you’re ready for the beginning of the end.

As much as I would like to discuss tonight’s episode in a spoilerrific fashion, I will resist. Ask me in person and I might tell you but for now that’s one down and nine to go. My only two complaints are that I detest commercials on regular television and that the questions that were answered only left larger questions – I guess I miss the option of just slipping in the next DVD. The journey’s almost over and the Cylon menace is still lurking somewhere in the cosmos. The only way to find the story’s resolution is to (shock and awe) tune in next week; which is exactly what I’m gonna do.

SO SAY WE ALL!

No comments: