Thursday, January 01, 2009

Coming to a Theater Near YOU in 2009


As a little tradition here at Chicken Scratch I usually compile a list of the movies that are coming out that I believe will be entertaining. I was going to compile said list until I discovered an article by Hugh Hart from Wired Magazine’s site. It sums things up quite succinctly and, if you happen to be a movie fan, more than worth your time. It can be found here: http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/12/2009-wiredcom-m.html. They even include links to the trailers. Nice.

Of what the studios have planned for us viewers in the coming year of our Lord 2009, here’re what I think will be the cream of the crop (or at least the movies I wouldn’t mind buying a ticket for). If the film makes my list then I’ll let you know if it is an Opening Nighter, a I’ll Buy a Ticket, or a I’ll Wait to Rent It.

So, let’s get down to business…

1. Coraline. Let’s see here… written by Neil Gaiman? Check. Directed by Henry Selik – the same man who did “A Nightmare Before Christmas”? Check. This one’s an Opening Nighter. Now I’ve got to track down where they’ll be showing it in 3D.

2. Watchmen. I wonder if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had any idea that they were going to be rocking the world when they told their story, “The Watchmen”. Get ready to be rocked. Opening Nighter – no doubt (whether Fox Studios wants me to or not).

3. Wolverine. Logan, Gambit, Emma Frost – on the big screen post the X-Men movies? Count me in. If not Opening Night then I’m Buyin’ a Ticket for that weekend (even if Fox Studios are actively suing for a piece of the Watchmen pie and looking to block the films release – I hope they don’t get dime one).

4. Star Trek. Opening Night. In fact, feel free to stop by and bring me a cup of coffee since I’ll be camping out for this one.

5. Terminator Salvation. Christian Bale as John Connor? No James Cameron for a second time? Hmmm… This looks like a good Rental.

6. Land of the Lost. My inner child is grinning from ear to ear for this one. I’m definitely buying a ticket for this one and bringing the girls too – I love to embarrass them by singing the theme song. We’re there.

7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I’m a huge fan of the books and there is some pretty deep stuff that happens in this one. If you’ve read the book then you know how iconic some of the images from the trailer are… If not opening night then we’re buying tickets for opening weekend.

8. The Wolfman. Benicio Del Toro stepping into Lon Chaney Jr.’s paws prints? The wolves’ bane is blooming in 2009 and I’ll be buying at least two tickets for this one. Bad Wolf is a bit of a werewolf fan. This was one of the last films that Stan Winston worked on as well. Hopefully Opening Night.

9. Sherlock Holmes. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law as Holmes and Watson? Directed by Guy Ritchie? I just might have to buy a ticket for this one. I’m still waiting to read the spin before I'm sold. We shall see.

10. Avatar. James Cameron has been inventing the technology to tell this science fiction tale – no, really. Expect amazing things. I expect that I’ll see ‘em in 3D hopefully opening night.

11. District 9. Alien invaders from the guy that Peter Jackson wanted to make the HALO movie? This kid’s Kung-Fu must be good. I just might have to buy a ticket.

12. Inglorious Basterds. (With an E). Quinton Tarantino takes on the Nazis. Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in Germany? Me neither, but I think I’d like to find out. I’d buy a ticket for this one depending on my spending money when it’s released.

13. A Christmas Carol. Robert Zemeckis’s third motion capture picture in a row. Jim Carey will be Ebenezer and I have high hopes that this just might become a new Holiday classic. The jury is still out if I’ll be buying a ticket or not. We shall see what we shall see. I’m rootin’ for you Bob (even though “Beowulf” didn’t do it for me).

14. Public Enemies. Johnny Depp is John Dillinger and Christian Bale is the fed that is chasing him? Much mobster mayhem. I might have to buy a ticket. We shall see.

So there you have it; my picks from Mr. Hart's list. These are the movies that I’ve got my eye on. Who will tell the best story out of the bunch? I don’t know. Are there dark horses that I’m not aware of? You bet; and that’s part of what makes this particular obsession a joy – the surprise of discovery, the shear unadulterated magic of the movies.

2009 is here so butter my popcorn – see you at the multiplex!

1 comment:

Evil Chicken said...

About Wolverine… maybe a matinee but most likely a rental now. One of the producers of the film ripped into fans of the character saying, “%$#* the fans, we’ve already got their money.” Now, if this is true, how can the fans (including yours truly) have any hope whatsoever when it comes to the quality of this project? Fox is the same studio that excreted “Fantastic Four” and “Fantastic Four – Rise of the Silver Surfer” onto movie screens worldwide. It’s obvious they didn’t care about those properties. Too bad the same attitude still exists there at the studio. Hey, I did not go to the theater for FF or FF2 because I pay attention to details and I listen to spin – hey, why wouldn’t I, I’m a fan. This is one fan who will use one of his Free Rentals at Blockbuster instead of padding the pockets of companies and producers who simply mishandle and do not care about anything other than exploiting an opening weekend. I’m not blind or idealistic here – can you imagine the film “Fantastic Four” could have been if it was made by people who actually cared about the characters they were putting onto film? Not only would the box office have been better but the story and characters would be given their due and the audience entertained.

Imagine that.

Thank God MARVEL now has their own studio and does not have to rely on studios that simply don’t care enough about their franchises to look beyond anything that might have staying power to outlast an opening weekend.

Please forgive my rant, Gentle Reader. I am now stepping off of my soapbox and grabbing a Tylenol.