Monday, January 05, 2009

New Who Review


Next Christmas David Tennant will regenerate leaving the roll of the Doctor behind. When the dust settles Matt Smith (26) will be the youngest Timelord ever to play the role. Here’s the story from BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7808697.stm.

Tom Baker is my Doctor. There were three Doctors before him (William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, & Jon Pertwee) but it was Baker’s regeneration that I first discovered the series. I started watching Doctor Who back in the seventies with him in the role. I watched him regenerate into Peter Davidson but then the show disappeared. BBC or PBS pulled the plug on American audiences so I missed Collin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. I saw the TV movie where Paul McGann became the commander of the TARDIS and had high hopes that there would be more but for the next 9 years there was nothing. The series was revived in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the role and it was like manna from Heaven. Gone were the cheesy special effects and production values and in there place was rock solid acting and storytelling. It was with a heavy heart that I watched Eccleston regenerate into David Tennant after only one season. But then Tennant made the role his own. He became a pleasure to watch with his humor and eccentricities. There are some truly great moments that have happened during the last four years. Tennant will be at the helm of the TARDIS for the next four BBC specials and it will be with a heavy heart that I will watch him regenerate into Matt Smith next Christmas.

All the best Mr. Smith; I am looking forward to seeing how you make the Doctor yours.

1 comment:

Merci said...

I'm waiting for Who, and for Torchwood, too. Oh, my, that rhymes.

I had not realized until I roamed around the net (oh, what a tangled web!) last weekend (after reading this post) that Torchwood is actually an anagram of Doctor Who.