Wednesday, March 07, 2018

The 90th Academy Awards - Part II



The 90th Academy Awards are now a part of history.  the lights are now dark at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles, California and Jimmy Kimmel (who did a spectacular job as the master of ceremonies) has left the building.  All the nominee’s seats are now deserted and a percentage of them took home Oscar gold.  As movie fans the Academy Awards are as big as it gets.  Say what you will about elitism in Hollywood and excess – the fact remains that the Academy Awards is the big show when it comes to the film industry and people get passionate about their favorites.  Las Vegas odds makers even get involved and, of course, people who love movies. 

So, now that the dust has settled, we can sit back and compare our picks against those who actually won – to compare the before and the after, so to speak.  I prepared such a list in the blog post just before this one (see: Picks for the 90th Academy Awards).  There are 24 different paths to striking Oscar gold during the broadcast.  In my meager list of picks I only chose 11 – some of the most popular categories, by my humble reckoning.  Emphasis on the “humble”.  The difference between my list and other film fans’ is that I have not seen ANY of the big nominated films.  I choose my picks by checking out reviews (this time on The American Film Buff: American Film Buff, 2018 Oscar Reviews) and by trying to think the way the Academy voters do.  So, how did I do?  Well, let’s find out together.  I’ll put the category, the winner, and my pick in column form – maybe jot down a note or two along the way…

Best Picture – The Shape of Water / Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Actor – Gary Oldman / Gary Oldman

Best Actress – Francis McDormand / Francis McDormand

Best Supporting Actor – Sam Rockwell / Sam Rockwell

Best Supporting Actress – Octavia Spencer / Allison Janney

Best Writing Adapted Screenplay – The Disaster Artist / Call Me by Your Name (NOTE: There was a last-minute change to my pick for this category. Someone reminded me of what happened with James Franco and the #MeToo movement and (on Facebook) I changed my pick to “Call Me by Your Name”.  “LOGAN” was great; however. Exceptionally great.

Best Director – Christopher Nolan / Guillermo del Toro.  I grinned from ear to ear when del Toro won the Oscar.  He is a magical storyteller with a unique eye and a passion for monsters.  His monsters are chock full of symbolism and he wields them like the true master he is.   

Best Original Music Score – Alexandre Desplat for “The Shape of Water” / Hans Zimmer for “Dunkirk”. I didn’t see this one coming. I assumed that it would have been Zimmer or Williams.  ...Man, I should probably watch these movies.

Best Original Screenplay – Jordan Peele for “Get Out” / Jordan Peele for “Get Out”. 

Best Cinemaphotography – Roger Deakins for “Blade Runner 2049” / Hoyt van Hoytema for “Dunkirk”.  I was very pleased hear Deakins’ name read for this one.  Blade Runner 2049 is a beautifully framed film with a unique vision.  As I said in the blog below, “I would LOVE to see Roger Deakins get the nod for “Blade Runner 2049.”  What do you know, he did!

Best Visual Effects – Blade Runner 2049 / Blade Runner 2049.  Out of all of the films nominated this year – THIS is the only one that I went to a theater to see.  (Note to self: you need to get out more.)

So, with help from The American Film Buff and thinking the way the Academy thinks I was able to beat Oscar 6 to 5.  Even without the benefit of seeing any of the films one could tell it was a very close field this year and that is a good thing.  It means that the film industry is doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing – pushing the narrative; the story, further.  Who wins the Oscar?  We do, film fans.  We do.

I’m looking forward to seeing Mr. Kimmel host the 91st Academy Awards ceremonies.  He is a touchstone to what is real in the land of make believe.  The Academy needs to keep him – even Matt Damon would agree.  As a movie fan, I am also looking forward to all the films between now and then.  …Perhaps, I’ll see one or two of them this go ‘round. 






No comments: