Saturday, September 07, 2013

Rest in Peace, Spiderman


While on a photo shoot on the afternoon of 9/7/13, at Patterson Park, home of New Jersey’s highest waterfalls; Spiderman – urban legend, crime-fighter, folk hero of millions fell to what can only be surmised as his death.  It is with a heavy heart that I report this to you True Believers.  He plunged from the bridge to the bottom of the gorge during said photo shoot.  I still remember his last few moments.


“Ok, Spidey, could you back up a bit?” I said waiting for the tourists to move along so that we could grab just the right shot.

“Sure.” He said briefly looking over his shoulder. “It sure is a long way DOOOOOWWWWWWNNNNN!”


I ran to the railing but it was in vain.  He was gone.  Crews are still searching for his body at the time of this report.  I am in shock.  It does not seem real.  It has been my great honor to photograph Spiderman over the years at different locations and places the he told me that he wanted to travel.  Spiderman leaves behind his friend the traveling Stormtrooper who was unavailable for comment at time of press.  Some of Spiderman’s past adventures can be found here: http://pinterest.com/theevilchicken/travels-with-spider-man-his-amazing-friends/.   

I get asked, “Do you know who he is?” all the time.  I shake my head and I always counter with, “Does it matter?”  Although responses have varied over the years, for the most part, this silences the inquisitive.  The fact of the matter is it never mattered who he was – what mattered was that he was there.  Always ready to self-sacrifice never asking for anything in return.  I guess ole’ Webhead could honestly be summed up in that song he kept humming…

Spiderman, Spiderman
Friendly neighborhood Spiderman
Wealth & fame
He’s ignored
Action is his reward

The song used to drive me batty but it made him happy.  He always had an odd sense of humor.  Spiderman has been in tough scrapes before and there have been times when we thought him dead in the past.  I hold out hope that he will make his way back to us someday.  They say that you are lucky to know a handful or even one true friend in the course of a lifetime.  Spiderman was my friend.

Goodnight, Sweet Prince.

Godspeed.  






No comments: