Saturday, June 12, 2021

"It Belongs in a Museum"

“Archeology is our religion, yet we have fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am but a shadowy reflection of you. It would take only a nudge to make you like me. To push you out of the light." – Rene Belloq

Belloq said that to Henry “Indiana” Jones Jr. FORTY years ago today. “Raiders of the Lost Ark” is one of my all-time favorite films. The prequel and the sequels are fun (although Crystal Skull has some…issues), but there will never be another, Raiders. I remember begging my family to see it. My dad relented and 40 years ago cinematic history blew me away.

This original movie poster hangs in an undisclosed location – somewhere in the bowels of New Jersey…

Principal photography for Indy 5 started earlier this week in Northumberland, UK. The working theory is this one takes place in the sixties. The fifth installment is being directed by James Mangold and not Steven Spielberg. Mangold directed “Cop Land”, “Walk the Line”, and “Logan” – he is Indy worthy. I’m rooting for this project – Indy deserves an excellent closing act.

Harrison Ford will be 80 years-old when part 5 is released. I hope that they play to the character’s age – Indy’s is supposed to be 37 in Raiders, 39 when he and his father thwart the Nazis in “The Last Crusade”, and 58 in “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”, which takes place in 1957. Using this as a baseline, Indy is going to be in his sixties in the sixties. Not only do I hope they play to his age, but I also further hope they remember that Dr. Jones must lose an eye (as per, “Young Indiana Jones Chronicles”). Continuity matters.


It turns out that Harrison is, at this moment in time, 78 years old. George Hall, the actor above who played a 90 + year old Indiana Jones, was 74 when he shot his bookend scenes for “Young Indiana Jones Chronicles”.

However, it pans out, “It’s not the years, it’s the mileage.” Raiders is in my top 5 films of all time. It has a bit of everything and proudly wears its Saturday morning cliffhanger cereal roots and fedora at the same time.  I can't wait for opening night.

Happy Birthday, Indy.

 

No comments: