Sunday, February 24, 2019

Hello Oscar, My Old Friend


Gentle Reader, if you kindly would indulge me, please start humming Simon & Garfunkel’s, “The Sound of Silence”…  YES--that's good--just like that!  Now then...

Hello Oscar, my old friend
I’ve come to talk with you again
Though your movies I have been missing
I still have hopes that story is a thing
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within my picks, for Oscars

I can’t afford the ticket price
Nor the popcorn, would be nice
But I still do love the medium
Though, self-importance still at premium
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash on a silver-screen
Know what I mean?
And thus, my picks for Oscars

The Academy bowed and prayed
To the golden god they made
And the net started a-Blog-ah-ging
And the words that they were form-ah-ing
And those words said, “The work of the artists is what this event should be about.
Haters, don’t pout”
And whispered my picks, for Oscar

<<<>>>
<<<>>> 

Now that this is off my chest, here are my picks for this year’s Academy Awards…

Best Actor: Rami Malek, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’
Best Actor, Supporting: Mahershala Ali, ‘Green Book’
Best Actress: Lady Gaga, ‘A Star is Born’
Best Actress, Supporting: Amy Adams, ‘Vice’
Best Animated Feature: ‘Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse’
Cinematography: ‘Roma’
Costume Design: ‘The Ballad of Buster Scruggs’
Director: Spike Lee, ‘BlacKkKLansman
Editing: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’
Makeup: ‘Vice’
Music: ‘Mary Poppins Returns’
Original Song, “When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings’ from ‘The Ballad of Buster Scruggs’
Best Picture: ‘BlacKkKlansman’
Production Design: ‘Black Panther’
Sound Editing: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’
Sound Mixing: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’
Visual Effects: ‘Avengers: Infinity War’
Writing – Adapted Screenplay: ‘The Ballad of Buster Scruggs’
Writing – Original Screenplay: ‘Roma’

What are your picks my fellow film-loving, Gentle Readers?




1 comment:

E. Chicken said...

So, there it is, another Academy Awards for the history books. I was right for Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Animated Feature, Cinematography, Makeup, Production Design, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing. …This year Oscar wins-at least when considering my picks. It looks like I have a lot of great cinema ahead of me and I’m okay with that. As you may or may not know, stories are very big with me. Any celebration of story is worthy, for stories are the glue that hold EVERYTHING together. …True story.