Tuesday, July 08, 2014

New J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter Story



Harry Potter.  Have you seen the movies?  Read the books?  Do you want more?  Well, good on you then, Gentle Reader – it turns out that J.K. Rowling has some more tricks up her sleeve.  She has released a gossip piece, “Dumbledore’s Army Reunites at Quidditch World Cup Final” written by, Rita Skeeter about a Dumbledore’s Army reunion of sorts at a Quidditch World Cup game with an adult Harry, Ron, and Hermione?  ‘Hey, I loved the books’, I said out loud to myself, ‘Where can I read it?’




Well, Initially the only place that you could read, said short story was over at J.K. Rowling’s site: https://www.pottermore.com/en-us, where I had to sign up, wait for my acceptance email, sign in, go to Diagon Alley, get a cauldron & pet (a Ginger Cat), get a wand from Ollivander’s (Rowan with a phoenix feather core, 10 ¾ inches – slightly springy), and get sorted (I’m a Hufflepuff, by the way).  Did I have to do all that to read the story?  …Don’t sweat the small stuff, my friends.  Besides, I have been unsorted for far too long.

THEN I read it!

What can I say, J.K. Rowling is still magic.  There are questions that, in the fullness of time, may or may not be answered.  Clearly, she has created a rich world to pull from and it was nice to visit that world again – even in about 1,500 words.  J.K. Rowling has said that she will not write about an adult Harry Potter in the past but today is a new day and it has brought forth a new Harry Potter short story.  Who’s to say what the future may bring?  I will resist the urge to dwell on spoilers; however I will point out one question that I have – has Ms. Rowling hidden a release date in plain site at the end of Rita Skeeter’s article?


The magical part of me is sincerely hoping that this is the case.

No comments: