Saturday, November 03, 2012

President Obama & Governor Christie



THIS is what makes this country great.  Not the left or the right, not the sociopathic extremes at the polar opposite ends of the political spectrum, certainly not Democrats or Republicans; no, what makes this country great is that when the need is there we stand united – united as Americans.

My respect for Governor Christie jumped leaps and bounds when he was asked if he would be doing any politicking for Mitt Romney during the devastation of Sandy.  “I have no idea, nor am I the least bit concerned or interested. I have a job to do in New Jersey that is much bigger than presidential politics. I could care less about any of that stuff… If you think right now I give a damn about president politics, then you don’t know me.”  He answered.  Here is the link to the video and that story: http://nation.foxnews.com/hurricane-sandy/2012/10/30/christie-keeps-his-priorities-straight-during-sandy-ordeal.  The bottom line, for this citizen of New Jersey, is that I am now looking at my Governor in an entirely different light than I had been seeing him before.  I just may owe him an apology. 

Thank you, Governor Christie.

Certain individuals in the media have rushed to name calling concerning Governor Christie and his priority to his state verses his priorities to his party.  With the eastern seaboard in ruin, New Jersey’s barrier islands included, it boggles my mind that certain elements of the media took the opportunity to jump from the Governor’s ship and attack him for doing his job and looking out for New Jersey.  That speaks volumes of the integrity and worthiness of some self-appointed media moguls.  Look, this is America and people are entitled to their opinion and to the freedom to say what is on their minds.  These rights are another attribute of what makes this country great; they extend to all no matter how well reasoned or twisted, good or evil, selfless or selfish these words may be to those who speak them and for those of us who have to listen.  With a healthy exchange we say our piece, we listen, and we can agree to disagree.  Some understand this discourse and others do not.  Those who don't will rant and rave into lonely microphones in padded - soundproof rooms, scream at families at Veteran's funerals, or simply go out of their way to prove that they are right and that everyone else is wrong.  I have to believe that we are better than that. 

We are about to go to the polls.  I am not going to tell you whom you should vote for.  I am; however going to warn you, Gentle Reader to be mindful of what wells you drink from before you ‘pull that handle’.  Think for yourself.  We are Americans first and members of the left or right second. 

United we stand, divided we fall. 

No comments: