Tuesday, November 22, 2011

For Vick


If you have ever clicked onto this blog then you know that I am pretty good at the trivial.  Useless information is usually what I pedal here on the electronic pages of Chicken Scratch.  It’s what I do. 

However, this blog, My 828: http://www.my828.org/fifty-year-travel-plans/#comment-150, is not trivial in the least.  It is written by a man I met a few times (once at their wedding), his family, and his wife Victoria whom I graduated with in 1987.  Vick and I were friends in high school and for those of you playing at home that was 24 years ago.  (...Ouch.) 

A year ago Vick suffered a traumatic brain injury and the world changed.  It has been a hard road that she, her husband, Stephen and their children have walked and the entire situation evokes that gossamer thin line that separates the world, as it should be verses how it is.  Vick is a woman of faith, she always has been; Stephen is a man of faith too and now, more than ever, their family has been leaning on it.

“Why does suffering like this occur?”  The simple answer is I don’t know.  I can show you what I wrote after reading Stephen’s blog. 

I can only imagine the path that Vick, you, and your family have been on.  I know that I am preaching to the choir, so to speak, but Romans 8:28 covers a lot of ground.  “All things for good” means all things for good.  I cannot begin to understand the ‘whys’; I am only a limited, broken, and mortal man who cannot grasp what the infinite sees.  His ways are not our ways.  The only thing I can say is that in good times and in bad times He is still on the throne.  Going right along with 828, I’m a fan of P16 (Philippians 1:6), “…being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ…” That’s not just a verse; that’s a promise and one you can stand on.  I know you have, that you are, and that you will continue to do so.

Ya know, St. Francis of Assisi said, “Preach the gospel at all times.  If you have to open your mouth.”  It is impossible to hide the lit city on the hill…  Thank you for your testimony.   

Please give Vick, my/our love,

George Scully, class of ‘87

This Thanksgiving make plans to tell those you love that you love them; we are, after all, only on loan to each other.  In that spirit, for the Moons – their children, for Stephen and for, of course, for Vick – I love you guys.  God bless you and may you keep moving forward on whatever path you may find yourselves.

No comments: