Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Today is a Good Day


After our democracy was tested its breaking point – both figuratively and literally – Joe Biden has become the 46th, President of the United States. 

“Today is a good day.”

I recall hearing those words before and for the very same reason that I use them today. It was 11/7/20. The time was 11:28. My wife had been wanting to go out, after all it was a beautiful day, but I was working in my journal that I have kept since the beginning of quarantine and I had my eye on the Electoral College numbers. Was today going to be the day?

“Come on,” she urged, “Get ready. Let’s go. I want to head to the bank, and they close soon.”

“I’m just finishing a thought…” I said as I typed away. “…There.” I said, let me get dressed and we can go.” I went into our room so that I could get dressed. I was just pulling up my pants when she exclaimed from the other room…

“The AP called it!” she said, “Biden is the winner!”

And so, he was. We both sat down at our computers to glean as much information as possible. God knows the states had been careful in counting and, therefore, had not had a clear winner until 11:28 am. My daughter came downstairs and joined us. Linda found a linked site on CNN with the banner, “BIDEN WINS” in large font across the top of the page. 


We watched, Van Jones started speaking, live to the world. What he said, brought me to tears because in two minutes he was able to describe and give a glimpse into the dystopia that the last four years have been. A two-minute microcosm of TRUTH. With all the noise, chaos, and shameless lies being on the menu these past four years, hearing the truth brought me to tears. It did so because the last four years have been bad. Worse than bad. Across America the spark of our negative impulses, hatreds, and inherent selfishness were kindled to near conflagration by the occupant of the White House, 2016 – 2020. Now the occupation of the People’s House – the White House, was near an end. Mr. Jones’ words hit me when I saw them happen live. Later, I took the liberty of transcribing his words…

“It’s… um… Well, it’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier… It’s easier to tell you kids, ‘character matters’. It matters. Tellin’ the truth, matters. Being a good person, matters. And it’s easier for a whole lot of people. If you’re Muslim in this country, you don’t have to worry if the president of this country doesn’t want you here. If you’re an immigrant, you don’t have to worry it the president is going to be happy to have babies snatched away or send dreamers…. Back for no reason. This is vindication for a lot of people who have really suffered. You know, “I can’t breathe” – you know, that wasn’t just George Floyd – that was a lot of people that felt they couldn’t breathe. Every day you’re waking up and you’re getting these tweets and you just don’t know, and you’re going to the store and…and people who have been afraid to show their racism are getting nastier and nastier to you. And you’re worried about your kids and your worried about your sister and can she just go to Walmart and get back into her car without somebody saying something to her. And…and, you’ve spent so much of your life energy just tryin’ to hold it together. And this is a big deal for us – just to be able to get some peace. And…and to have a chance for a reset. And the character of the country matters. And…and being a good man matters. You know, I just want my sons to look at this – look at this. You know, it’s easy to do it the cheap way and…and to get away with stuff. But it comes back around. It comes back around. And it is a good day for this country.

I’m sorry for the people who lost. For them it’s not a good day. But for a whole lot of people, it’s a good day.”

Your vote is your voice.

The noise and the lies have been rejected.

I am not exaggerating, Gentle Reader, when I say that I feel lighter. It is as if a weight has been lifted. The occupation is over. The hate that has been a hallmark of the last administration has been exchanged for HOPE.

I am not gloating. I am telling you the truth. And the truth is something that we have grown unaccustomed to hearing. God knows we have problems, but the first thing one must do is acknowledge them so one can do something to fix them and move on.

The reset button has been pressed.

I’m ready to for better days.


No comments: